Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Miss Guided" -- ABC's New Teacher Comedy

After last night's "Dancing With The Stars," ABC showed a sneak peak episode of their new comedy "Miss Guided." Maybe the writer's strike has tampered with my TV knowledge, but I don't recall watching a comedy about teachers since "Nick Freno" and that's back when The WB - for one- existed, two- had the dancing Looney Toon's frog, and three- when Tahj Mowry was the coolest kid on the block! It might be fair to assume that America has given up on the light-hearted view on the underpaid career field of education. Even NBC canned a comedy about teachers not to long ago. Now that you can see how "risky" this show is for ABC- I actually found it cute and funny.

"Miss Guided" stars
Judy Greer as a guidance counselor at her alma mater high school, who is forced back into outcast-student mentality once she reunited with the "popular girl"- now co-worker. Greer first hit my funny bone as Kitty, the Spring Break obsessed-secretary, in "Arrested Development", and she didn't let me down in her performance as Becky the guidance counselor. The show features the sans-laugh track, cute humor of "Ugly Betty" and interview/monologues found in "The Office" without the Reality show feel. After the show was over, I was really hoping I could find "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" on Demand as a free movie. You have to decide thats a good or bad thing, BUT for me it's a good thing. For the SNL fans, Chris Parnell has a role on the show, but really hope this doesn't mean the end of Dr. Leo Spaceman on "30 Rock." The sneak peek was good enough for me to actually write about it, so check it out. At the very least, it can tie me/us over until "Ugly Betty" reboots. The official premiere for "Miss Guided" is this Thursday at 8 pm Eastern/7 pm Central on ABC. This episode will guest star Ashton Kutcher, who is also one of the show's executive producers.