Sunday, August 30, 2009

ABDC Season 4, Ep 4 Bollywood Challenge!


This week was the Bollywood Challenge on ABDC. Overall this episode was better than the last two weeks. I think all the crews grasped on to the idea of Bollywood as having cultural roots and lived up to the pressure to not fail that culture on TV. Hopefully, this isn't a fluke for the season.

Massive Monkees went first with a solid performance, which is probably my favorite from them so far this season. Vogue Evolution appearantly has some drama driving Leiomy to the brink of leaving the show. Lil Mama chimed in at the end of her critique to tell Leiomy that she should be more lady-like. It could be something deep, but it comes across as typical divatude. I don't know how to feel about Lil Mama's comments because it is not her place to comment on the struggles of a transgender's lackings of living the life of their new gender. On the other hand, I want to pat her on the back for not being afraid of the PC police while putting Leiomy on blast because she appeared to have deserved a reality check. America don't like ugly. Drama aside, they gave probably their most solid routine. However, it still wasn't great or changed my opinions of their limits as a dance crew. Rhythm City was on fire. I loved their routine. Taking off their shoes in the routine, might have slowed the routine too much for my friends but it completed the story they aimed to tell. Afroborike also stepped up this week. Their stunts stood out even more this week to me. I'm not sure if was because the difficulty increased or maybe just the nature of this challenge seemed to put the crews equally out of their element. Either way, they kept my attention for the first time this season.

In the bottom We Are Heroes and Beat Ya Feet Kings battled for survival. We Are Heroes has a crew member with a ligament injury and in parts it showed. However, I feel they shined in their performance and they probably blended the Bollywood task in their own style the best of all the crews. I appreciated the slot machine gag because I was thinking of Busta Rhymes - Arab Money due to it sharing the same beat. Now I wonder if the actual song had some kind of money reference. Beat Ya Feet Kings didn't make the choice easy by giving a solid routine in comparison to past weeks, but I thought their ending was weak/confusing. They tried to fire back at Shane with wearing "Download This" t-shirts which seemed to be an unsuccessful reply to his YouTube comment meant for all the crews -- not just BYFK. The judges decided to save We Are Heroes, and it was the end for Beat Ya Feet Kings. YouTube that Shit award goes to Massive Monkees. This routine could be the marker that puts them into my ideal finals against Rhythm City.